USS SLC...Enlisted Navy...David Vernon Wilson, EM2c
David V. Wilson passed away on Jan. 23rd, 1980 of myocardial infarction
Feb. 6th, 2003
Letter [dated April 1983] & biography, written by his wife, found in SLC Memorabilia
Born Sept. 1, 1916 in Yantley, AL. David enlisted in the US Navy in Birmingham, AL. in May
1935. He completed recruit training and class "A" Electrical School at NOB Norfolk, VA.
Served on the USS SALT LAKE CITY heavy cruiser from Feb. 1936 to May 1939. Then he served on
board the USS OGLALA CM from Sept. 1939, until she was sunk by the Japanese on Dec. 7, 1941,
at Pearl Harbor. After the sinking of the OGLALA, assisted in fire fighting and rescue work
in the harbor until about Dec. 20, 1941, then was transferred to the Mine Assembly Base, West
He attended the first class of the Naval Mine Warfare School, Yorktown, VA. in Jan. 1941,
while attached to the USS OGLALA.
He was promoted to Warrant Electrician on Aug. 15th, 1942. Transferred to NSMW for DUI in
Jan. 1943. Upon completion of course, was retained on board as instructor in mines. On
detachment from the school in June, 1945 again reported to the Mine Assembly Base at West
Loch, T.H. for duty in mine assembly and mine modification. He was appointed Lt.(jg) in Feb.
1946. After consolidation of the Mine Assembly Base and the Ammunition Depot Annex at West
Loch, he continued duty as Mining Officer until becoming Officer in Charge NAD at West Loch.
He received orders to report to the USS SHEA DM30 for duty in Sept. 1949. He served on bard
the USS SHEA as Mining Officer until ordered to report to the Staff of Commander Mine Force,
US Atlantic Fleet as Mining Officer and Harbor Defense Officer in Apr. 1951. He was
appointed Lt. in Apr. 1952.
He was ordered to the USS POCHARD AM375, as Executive Officer, in Nov. 1953. Received command of the USS POCHARD on May 24, 1954, in Charleston, SC.
He decommissioned the USS POCHARD in Green Cove Springs in Aug. 1955.
He reported for duty as Officer in Charge, Countermeasures School, NSMW, Yorktown, VA., Sept. 1955. Became OINC School of Mines, NSMW June 1956.
He retired from active duty on May 1, 1958. He moved to Pensacola, FL. and went to work as Assistant Plant Superintendent in Sacred Heart Hospital, Pensacola. Upon completion of a new 300 bed facility in 1965, he became plant manager. While serving in this capacity, he custom designed an Infant Transport Van (a rolling intensive care nursery equipped with specialized life support equipment and supplies) the first van of this type in this area.
He retired a second time in 1973 and traveled extensively with his wife in their motor home and then "settled down" back home in Yantley, AL. in 1974.
He was married to Hattie E. Garrison on April 19, 1941, who at the time was teaching Home Economics in high school at Quitman, Miss. They had two children, David & Jan.