War Record of the USS Salt Lake City - Page Four-Conclusion
Addenda to Letter of 4 September 1943
Summary of USS SALT LAKE CITY's ACTIVITIES
FROM 4 SEPTEMBER 1943 TO 14 APRIL 1944
1. Continued on Aleutian patrol until return to Pearl in late September.
2. Departed Pearl, in company with USS PORTLAND on trip to San Francisco and return, 1 October to 14 October for purpose of carrying officer and enlisted passengers. Accommodated seventy-five (75) officers and one-thousand (1000) enlisted men in addition to three-fourths (3/4) of normal complement.
3. Operated out of Pearl, training in shore bombardments and AA gunnery, 14 October to 8 November. Also had limited yard availability.
4. Operated with Central Pacific Force, 8 November to 9 December in Gilbert Island Area. As a unit of Task Group 50.3, participated in capture of Tarawa. Later, during the period, covered the occupation of Abemmama? with CruDivFive and accompanying DDs and DEs.
5. Remained in the Central Pacific Area from 9 December 1943 to 21 January 1944, based at Funafuti, with Task Group 57.8 (Rear Admiral Small) to deny the enemy any surface activity in the Gilbert-Klice? Islands Area.
6. Operated with Central Pacific Force, 21 January to 24 February, as a unit of Task Force 50.15 (Rear Admiral Small) and functioned as the neutralization group against Japanese held Wotje and Taron? Islands.
7. Retained identity as unit of Task Force 50.15 (Rear Admiral Small) and remained in Central Pacific Area, basing at Majuro and Kwajalein until present time. Operated with Central Pacific Force, acting as Support Group, in strike on Palau.
ITEMS OF INTEREST
8. During the period of the above summary, the USS SALT LAKE CITY:-
(a) Assisted in driving off enemy snoopers at dusk, early in the Gilbert operation, causing a large force of enemy planes which showed on radar screen, to fail in their efforts to locate the Task Force.
3. The summary above indicates the sustained competency of the SALT LAKE CITY as a
continuously functional unit of the vast Fleet which has now been assembled.
You are on Page "4" of "4" of the War Record of the USS SLC.
Go to Page "1" "2" "3" "4"
|Return to Index to Articles|
You are on Page 6 part 4
Go to Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
SLC MAIN INDEX
SLC MAIN ROSTER
LG. GROUPS MISC. PICTURES SHIP PICTURES SCOUT PLANES HELPFUL INFORMATION
VETERAN'S STORIES SHIP'S STORE SLC ASSOCIATION OFFICIAL DECKLOGS SLC HISTORIAN
The address of this page is assoc_articles-06-4.htm
Send Questions, Comments or Report Problems to Website Curator, Sandy Eskew
Return to SLC Main Index for Email Address